Thursday, May 12, 2005

Security Warning: Unsafe expressions are not blocked.

Ok this happens every time I move to a new computer and try to open an Access database, I get these annoying pop-ups saying my computer might break if I open the database.

Here’s what they look like:



At this screen, I say NO!

And then I get this screen, asking if I really want to open the file, of course I do, so I do as MS recommends and go to http://www.windowsupdate.com/ to see if I have the latest Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack, and of course I already have it installed, but Microsoft makes me check anyway—whatever.



At this screen, I click YES, because… YES I really want to open the file!
And then I get this screen:
Which basically says that the file I’m trying to open might harm my computer!

I click OPEN of course because I created the database in the first place and I know it isn’t going to harm my computer.



And finally, after 3 annoying pop-ups, the database opens.


To stop getting these pop-ups, you can do the following:

Go to Tools / Macro / Security and set the level to LOW:


BUT YOU BETTER HAVE SOME GOOD UP-TO-DATE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE INSTALLED AND CONFIGURED TO CHECK MACROS. OTHERWISE, YOU KNOW WHAT? YOUR COMPUTER MIGHT JUST BREAK!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post detailing how to do this. I found you on google. The real question is, why doesn't Microsoft fix the underlying security issue?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for!

Unknown said...

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed.

Anonymous said...

God bless Google and the good people who post stuf like this.